{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 }

Monday, December 12, 2011

JTB 2011

When I tell you that I love Journey Through Bethlehem, I mean I really LOVE it! And this year was no different. Actually...it was maybe my favorite year in all the 14 years that I've been a part! I had the opportunity to witness some really neat things that still brings me tears when I think about it.

Since the beginning, we've always been known for the drive-thru portion of the town, but within the past few years we've also started offering a guided walk-thru. In a nutshell, you are led through the town by a shepherd and you stop at a few "key places" along the way(i.e. the census taker, the inn, the manger, etc...). Each night, for atleast and hour or so, Brooklyn was in the manger as baby Jesus and she did great! Maddie was also baby Jesus when she was little but we did not offer a walk-thru at that point so I didn't get to totally experience what I did this year! It was amazing! The neat thing about walking thru versus driving is that you can get a little closer to the manger. That is a pretty cool thing when there is a real baby there to interact with you! Oh, Brooklyn was such a big hit and I could not have been more proud! She wore a white gown and I covered her with an additional white blanket. Since we were in the manger, we were blocked mostly from the wind so she never really got too cold. Two of the four nights, Jaime was able to be my Joseph and it was such a fun time to see and hear people's different reactions. I can't always hear what people are saying from their car, but when they are standing right next to you, there's no question!

What stood out to me the most this year from my experience as Mary was:
-the oohs and aahs over Baby Jesus! It didn't matter if Brooklyn was flapping her arms and talking or letting out a cry from getting tired, the people loved it all!
-moms and dads kneeling before the manger and telling their own little ones that that baby was baby Jesus!
-one little girl sang a special song to Jesus and it was the cutest thing ever. Brooklyn simply smiled at her. Melted my heart!
-a mentally challenged guy came through and you could tell that he was so excited and stimulated by everything that was going on. He kept saying "Hi, my name is John" and "I like your baby" over and over again. What sweet innocence!
-a certain lady cried in front of the manger this year too. She was a first time visitor to JTB and loved every second of it. She just had to touch Brooklyn on the shoulder before she moved on, not believing that she was a real little baby!

It was wonderful and I already look forward to next year! Our feedback is always so positive and on Saturday night, we set a new record showing over 900 people the real meaning of Christmas! Wow! Many people also told us that it's just not Christmas until they load up their car and drive their family through JTB. What a blessing that is to us as a church to hear! It makes all the invested $, sick people (from the hay, cold, smoke), late nights and long work hours SO, SO very worth it!

No comments: